22 March 2013

Placenta Previa: Alfa/Army's Early Arrival

     A usual pregnancy last for about 40 weeks, though at 37 weeks, our placenta becomes mature and is ready for child birth until the 42nd week in allowance. During those 40 weeks or so, some infanticipating women luckily experience a normal pregnancy while a portion of this population encounters some complications.
     My second pregnancy was normal from my first semester up to the last trimester. I was even able to fly to Davao last New Year's break. How? Of course I was given a medical certificate by my OB-Gyne.
     Last September 2012, I also had my congenital anomaly scan. Everything about my little girl was normal. On the other hand, it was found out that I had a low lying placenta. Nevertheless, last December, my doctor informed me that my baby's condition to include me is perfect. Like I said, I was eventually given a medical certificate stating that I was allowed to travel by plane and that my condition was fine.
Photo courtesy of  www.webmd.com
     It was a smooth sailing pregnancy all along that is why last January 1, 2013, Tatay GM (my husband) and I did not expect that a bleeding would occur. I was rushed to Tagum Doctor's Hospital in Tagum City. I was diagnosed to have a placenta previa. Accordingly, it is a problem of pregnancy wherein the placenta grows in the lowest part of the uterus or thw owmb and covers a part if not all of the opening to the cervix. Moreover, my OB-Gyne was able to discuss the four types of placenta previa according to severity which include: low lying (my first findings), marginalis (my condition when I was rushed to Tagum Doctors Hospital), partial and totalis (my condition the day I gave birth). To avoid complications, I had a dose of steroids to aid my baby's developing lungs.
     My attending doctor gave me a permission to be discharged from the hospital last January 2. We then pushed thru with our flight at about 2000H on the same day. We eventually arrived in Pangasinan the next day, January 3. On that morning I did bleed again and was once again rushed to my OB-Gyne's clinic. My doctor decided to keep me under observation. My bleeding continued until the next day. Finally, my doctor informed me that there is no better way to keep me and my child away from harm other than emergency CS. So last January 5, 2013 at about 7 in the evening, Mara Viktoria (Alfa or Army for short) was born.
     For further information on placenta previa, you may check on these sites:
Thank God, Army and I are okay now. And thank God for another gift of life. How about you mommies? What did you experience during your pregnancy? 

28 comments:

  1. The entire time I was pregnant, I kept worrying that something terrible might happen. Thankfully it was smooth sailing. Birth pains weren't even as terrible as I thought they would be :) Glad to hear that you and your baby are safe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im glad to hear that your pregnancy was ok mommy.You really cant tell right? One day youre ok..the next day you have to undergo emerg cs na pala.

      Delete
  2. It's good that your OB Gyne made the right call in performing the emergency CS and congrats to your new baby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you sir. yes sir. my OB id one of the best in Pangasinan.

      Delete
  3. It's nice to know that your OB gyne made a great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes sir...A good OB is important on the course of prenancy.

      Delete
  4. mommy Vee, it worries me when I came to know you gave birth earlier than schedule. Anyway I do hope that you and baby Alfa are both doing ok now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. grabe, that was a very dangerous situation. God must have sent a lot of angels to get you safely back to Pangasinan. You were very very lucky,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes maam. I was thinking of staying in Vluna instead of going home but I guess the Lord made me realize that no one will take care of me in Vluna hospital.

      Delete
  6. Congratulations! The way I look at it, babies are so precious as they are gifts from God -- we all are. So thank God for the early arrival and everything is all right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes mommy. I do believe in that also. Thank you...

      Delete
  7. I got 2 pregnancy and thank God, all came out well, the youngest was premature and need to stay in the NICU for 3 days. Good to here that you and baby Army are both doing good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. God is really good all the time. We had sort of the same situation pala.

      Delete
  8. Glad to know that you and your baby made it through quite fine. Even the most seemingly uneventful pregnancies can spring surprises any time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes maam. indeed, my youngest is now three months old but looks like 6 months old already!

      Delete
  9. You're so brave in doing all those travels when you're about to give birth. Weren't you scared?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I just did not welcome negative thoughts prior the flight maam/sir. I kept thinking that I will (my family and I) go home safely and that I will be able to deliver the baby in my home province...

      Delete
  10. That must be really hard. But i think you what you can to protect the baby and your doctor did the right decision for the emergency CS. Congratulations to your new baby and i like her name, Mara Viktoria! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I salute you for being able to do stuffs at the time of your pregnancy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to be on the move always since im in the military...thank you...

      Delete
  12. Congrats for having a healthy baby! Placenta previa is really dangerous so women should be educated about that condition. Regular prenatal visits should be reiterated. However, sad to say, there are still a lot of women who don't get an OB check up. -_-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i agree with that. those who are far from the civilization often depends on "hilot" and "kumadrona".

      Delete
  13. COngrats on your new baby :) and thank goodness everything went well even though you were diagnosed with Placenta Previa.. I have four kids and all my pregnancies were smooth and all normal :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really wanted to get pregnant so that I could experience the pains and joys of motherhood.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I feel you mommy but in a different pregnancy experience. I experience pre-term labor contraction and was confined for a week on the 7th month of gestation. I am grateful that it stopped and my baby reached the borderline when I gave birth CS also. We can't really tell what lies ahead in our pregnancy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Welcome to the world Army! Congrats to a healthy baby girl!

    ReplyDelete

Chikita