11 April 2012

"The Power of a Praying Wife"

          Since I was a kid, I was already a bookworm. In line with this, I decided to have a "Book Review" included in my labels, so I may share the books I have been reading. I may not be able to remember all the books that I have already read since I was a kid, but I may share the latest books I have in my shelf.

     Before I got married with my ex-boyfriend (now my husband), my mother has been constantly reminding me that as a wife (whether we like it or not), we will be the main actor that will keep our marriage (I actually disagree with this). My mom also emphasized that as a couple, we should build a closer relationship with God, for as we draw closer to God, our relationship also strengthens.

In my perception, no relationship or marriage in particular that is made in heaven. Every couple experiences various problems. For a wife like me, maybe one way or another, we already have several questions and experiences that we try to answer and find remedies all by ourselves especially that as an army wife, my husband and I barely see each other. If you have the same sentiments or almost similar feelings like mine, the book "The Power of a Praying Wife" is a good buy for you then (it is for me).

Copyright 1997

     "The Power of a Praying Wife" was written by the best-selling author Stormie Omartian, who primarily wrote The Power of Praying Series. I’m just not sure when the first copyright was published but what I am sure of is that, this book stayed to be in the best-selling years for nine (9) years (quite long huh?). The book originally costs about $15.00 (Php 660.00). Luckily I was able to purchase a second hand copy (which is still in very good condition) of the book for only Php 115.00. The book was not as fancy as I thought but upon browsing its contents/pages, I already knew that this book will be one of my favorites.

          The book is composed of 30 chapters filled up with meaty insights and lessons that Omartian herself experienced. I believe the author focused on what a typical wife does when being battled by various marriage difficulties. She managed to emphasize the question, what do we have to do when having problems with our husband, his work, his health, his attitude, finances, priorities, sexuality, affection, temptations, mind, fears, choices, fatherhood etc. The author also admitted that she is just but human that she first tried arguing, pleading, ignoring, confronting and the ever womanly attitude of being silent in facing these problems. Omartian stated that it also took her sometime to realize that by praying first, these dreadful moments may be avoided. In this book, Omartian shared how her own marriage grew strong as she started lifting her concerns about her husband to God.

        This 203-pager book is a must-read for all wives. As an army wife, this continuously helps me in reminding me how to help, understand and support my husband in his profession. This already serve like a lifetime reference. This is also highly recommended for all the wives experiencing marital problems and even those who are already on the brink of divorce, annulment or separation. Aside from this, it is an enlightening book for the newlyweds and women who are already on planning stage of marriage. A must-read and must-keep book, “The Power of a Praying Wife.”

  

34 comments:

  1. I love this book! I read it early on in my marriage, and I can't emphasize enough the importance of informed intercession for our spouses. Glad to know we're both in the same thought line when it comes to prayer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. praying does a lot of miracle in every relationship. praying keeps us "sane" to resolve whatever problems we do encounter in daily lives.
      this is surely a must read book. thanks for sharing.

      (found ur url via fbu. hope u could visit me sometime.)

      Delete
    2. i have visited your blog maam..but i just dont know how can i follow your blogpage...

      Delete
    3. thank you Miss Martine ^_^ I also read this i think just last 2010 then finished it last 2011 since I was pre-occupied of reading parenting and baby books ^_^

      Delete
  2. Everything that your mo said was true. I love books too. Thanks for reminding me about this book. I saw this one before at the bookstore but didn't buy it coz at the time, I was reading other books. Now that I am done, I'm definitely getting this one! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for appreciating my post...this is a good buy promise!

      Delete
  3. i have this! i have this and i have recommended this book to some wives, too. never fails. :D God is great and the healer of marriages :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow..nice to hear that...goof reference right?sarap balik-balikan ^_^

      Delete
  4. Hello dear! Your high-praises for the book made me curious. Where can I buy the same book? It's ok if I get a second-hand copy. =) By the way, I'm not yet married. But I know that my partner and I will also go towards that path. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for dropping by maam.well, i found my copy at "Book Sale". It mostly cater second hand books. But if you want to have the newest version of the book, you may check Fully Booked or National Bookstore ^_^ This is a must-have maam...

      Delete
  5. Prayer will always be the best weapon.... ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope to get a second-hand copy. the comments above and your review made me curious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. maybe Book Sale may have kept some copies.. ^_^

      Delete
  7. with God in the center of it all.. nothing is impossible

    ReplyDelete
  8. It didn't only bring miracles but the only tool we use to communicate with God! I also loved this book

    ReplyDelete
  9. is this available to National Bookstore? i wanna buy this too and send to my friend as a gift

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes maam..i saw a copy of this just last February of this year maam...

      Delete
  10. It's good that you seek ways to help, understand and support your husband in his profession. Good luck to you both :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. since we belong to the same profession, i think it became an advantage maam that i do feel what my husband feels maam...

      Delete
  11. I haven't read this book yet. I've always wondered how married life is though.
    Building a closer relationship with God is also key to a lasting relationship with people important to you.
    Take care =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this may also work with people on relationship status.besides, the essence of getting into relationship is to find our partner in life in the future right?

      Delete
  12. With all the challenges I've been encountering in my married life, yes, I need to be more of a praying wife. :) Thanks for sharing the book

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes maam...this book changed my perspective in handling my marriage...

      Delete
  13. Prayers can move mountains. When you pray claim that you have what you have prayed for. It's faith. That is something that we all must have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. absolutely...i did not expect a comment from a man sir..thank you for appreciating my book review..

      Delete
  14. I'd prolly gift this to my 60-something roommate. Her faith in God is questionable by how she treats other people, and even her own family. This book might heal her arrogance at least.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha..is this related to your latest topic about menopausal syndrome???

      Delete
  15. The power of PRAYER is incomparable... What more if that power will come from the heart of a WIFE who can dedicate her whole LIFE to her beloved. The strength of a WIFE is dependent on her spirituality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. true...i agree with the last sentence especially.with strong faith, nothing is impossible.

      Delete

Chikita